Directing & Cinematography Workshop
Time & Location
About the Event
Are you an aspiring director or cinematographer? Or perhaps you're a beginner in the industry and you want to take your career to the next level. Then this workshop is for YOU.
We are looking for male and female creatives to take part in a three-day practical workshop. Where will be bridging the gap between theory and practise. And giving ONE lucky winner a chance to direct a music video for VGMA award winning artist Joey B to jumpstart their career with a 10,000 GHC Budget! Read below..
- 3rd Runner Up
Joins as a production assistant on an experienced music video set with professionals for one day. You get to shadow the first runner up director on set and learn how to gain a deeper insight of conceiving the visual and artistic aspects of video production.
- 2nd Runner Up
Wins the chance to be an assistant director on set for Joey B's video. The role of an assistant director includes tracking daily progress against the filming production schedule, arranging logistics, preparing daily call sheets, checking cast and crew, and maintaining order on the set. Alongside assisting the director, in all things creativity. These skills are fundamental and help set you up to become a better director.
- 1st Runner Up
Wins 10,000 GHC which will be used for pre to post production for award winning Musician JOEY B upcoming music video. You will be working with a professional and innovative crew to help you every step of the way to ensure your creative vision is properly executed exactly how you want. In addition, you'll also win a 14 day internship at award winning production house APSTAIRS MEDIA. Furthermore, you will also win an all inclusive 10 week business starter pack apprenticeship at the African Internship Academy to further broaden, strengthen your employability skills to maximise the chances of either running your own business efficiently or working in established organisations.
The course fee for the three days is 600 GHC. After applicants have been reviewed, Once selected, payment must be made before you're submitted onto the course.
Day 1: The Grammar of Directing
- Shooting techniques.
- The Do’s & Don’ts of directing.
- Storyboarding vs. the scene sheet.
- Long, medium and close-up acting.
- Directing the talent – communicating your vision.
- Shooting script – developing your visual shorthand.
- Style – approaching and brainstorming the idea in an individual way.
Day 2: Working with the Camera & Light
- Camera set up & settings.
- Audience and camera movement.
- Types lenses and when to use them.
- Crew – maximising human resources.
- How to effectively work with your director.
- Camera positioning, confidence and skills.
- Types of camera movement & when to use them.
- Shooting tips – save money and creating a distinctive look.
- Learn how to be resourceful by using iPhone & DSLR camera on a budget.
- Exploring different lighting techniques, and how and when to use them.
- Learn how to capture emotions in scenes and display moments on screen.
Day 3: The Business Side of Production
- Budgeting for shoots.
- How to price your services.
- Creating a business strategy.
- Career opportunities for directors.
- The show reel – a director’s resume.
- How to secure and maintain long term clients.
- How to set and run your own production company.
- Dealing with Negative Clients & Set backs.
- Breakfast & Lunch will be provided on each day.
- Notepads & Pens will be provided for each candidate.
- Each participant will be awarded a certificate accredited by Accra Film School.
You must fulfil this criteria:
- Based in Ghana.
- Between ages 16-35 years old.
- Must have basic knowledge or experience of directing or cinematography. (Not Mandatory)
- Must be at a BEGINNER or intermediate level. This is NOT for experienced directors or cinematographers.
Applications close June 30th 2019. Good luck !